Thursday, October 9, 2014

Gettin' over the Hump


Sorry for the delay on this folks, but we went for a very long hike yesterday and came back late.

Currently I'm reading The Omnivore's Dilemma and learning a lot about how most cows are raised and fed on factory farms. When I used to eat red meat, I didn't care where my meat came from or the difference between grass-fed and grain-fed. I can honestly say that I chose to eat in ignorance, as Michael Pollan would say, because it was more convenient. Also I'm a frugal bird and price always seemed more important than quality. More and more I'm learning just how important it is to know exactly what goes into our food. The shit show that goes on in most farms is appalling and although I don't eat meat, my Hub, friends and family do. Here are a few links on what factory farmed meat is really all about.

Factory farms feed cows chicken scrap, leftover chicken gunk that doesn't make into your Tyson breast cutlets. Putting aside the ethical conundrum of feeding a vegetarian animal another animal, this is the origin of mad-cow disease.

Factory farms feed cows antibiotics to promote growth and to control disease, which is partly due to the terrible conditions in which these animals live. The result is antibiotic resistant bacteria - bacteria that spreads quickly, stays in the meat and kills people.

Also the antibiotics that are in the meat we buy damages our gut flora, healthy micro-organisms that are responsible for digestive health.

I know this is a heavy post, but this stuffs crazy right? So if you're interested in knowing how to avoid factory farmed meat, here's a guide by Huffington Post.

P.S. This post isn't about advocating eating meat, but I do respect the fact that people love their burgers and steaks like my darling Hub. Although I will admit I'm slowly coaxing him into vegetarianism. He's not biting at the moment, but he enjoys my vegan dinners.

(Picture above of me wolfing down Carnitas Snack Shack steak sandwich on jalapeno cheese bread in San Diego)
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...